On 12/09/2013 02:05 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 12/8/2013 4:47 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
Static analysis will tell you where a pointer might point to (more
importantly,
it may exclude aliasing) and what values the variable 'i' might have
in it. How
precise this information is hinges on the details of the analysis and the
program it is applied on. I'm just saying that this may be more
precise than
what 'immutable' qualifiers give you (since those are quite easy to
infer, given
the program, and alias analysis may be non-trivial.)

There has been a lot of work trying to eliminate array bounds checking
by figuring out the limits of i. This has met with only limited success.

I know of no C compiler that even attempts such things, and it certainly
would be done if it was trivial.

"Proper" D code makes routine use of const and immutable, and so that
information is effortlessly available to even simple optimizers.

Sorry, I'm lost. What point are you arguing? None of this disputes in any way anything I wrote.