On 10/12/13 09:21, H. S. Teoh wrote:
It turned out that I had overlooked a simple but very significant
optimization present in the C version that hadn't been implemented
in the D version yet. [...] In the original C code, it took quite
a while to implement this optimization because ...  well, in C, you
had to spell out every last thing, otherwise it just won't work. In
D, I kicked a crude version of it out in under a day.

There are such amazing multiplicative gains from D's design decisions -- as you describe here, even when you _need_ to drill down and micro-optimize, very often that too can be achieved in a way that is simpler than its C equivalent. And so, at every level of your code, you get that opportunity to focus more on exploration and improvement and less on firefighting.