Francesco Cattoglio:

Honestly, to my eyes, Julia really looks like a "better Matlab", with a heckload of stuff packed in his standard library. I have not yet experimented with it but I don't like the premises that much.

In short: I think D language can do as much as Julia can do, with pretty much same bang for the buck.

Look better, Julia aims also at partially replacing Python as golden glue in scientific computing, and it seems to have some of the numbers for it. It's statically typed, it has type inferencing, a refined type system with multi-methods and more, and a good LLVM-based JIT (that's in my benchmarks produces a performance no more than 2-4 times slower than D compiled with ldc2. If you compile D with dmd Julia is often faster for FP-heavy code. This means it's much faster than any Python code). It's better than Matlab about as much as D is better than C, and it's already better than Python for some things :-) And Julia is currently much more flexible than D (there's a REPL, lot of scientific routines in the std lib, and the JIT). In two years its easy to write code has allowed lot of people to write more standard library than D community has done in 7 years. For the kind of purposes Julia is designed for, I don't think D has the upper hand, it seems D has already lost that race, despite Julia is rather younger. D remains my preferred for general or heavy computing.

Bye,
bearophile