On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 14:52:10 UTC, Manu wrote:
On 13 December 2013 00:38, Arjan <ar...@ask.me.to> wrote:

Have you heard of Frets on Fire? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Frets_on_Fire
I remember trying this out several years ago, though it didn't really
have
that smoothe Guitar Hero feel.

Yes, it's fucking terrible. It's also written in Java, which might partly
explain the first bit...

I'm pretty sure it has been written in python (to prove one could write games using python), also there is FoFix a (better?) clone also python.

My kids do play FoFix from time to time. But nothing beats minecraft.

Oh yeah, you're probably right. I just remembered that it wasn't written in
a real language ;)
It doesn't feel very tight, and the synchronisation window is super wide. I suspect this is because the libraries they use aren't really meant for low-latency real-time use, and they have no access to the hardware/drivers
directly, so they have to allow for a huge margin of error.

I have no idea what is required for a game like that, but I've been on a project where python is used in machine control (wafer handling) at control frequencies / sampling rates up to 100Hz. Although 100Hz was not achieved easily. Indeed no direct access to hw/drivers from python it usually goes through c-wrappers.