On Friday, 20 December 2013 at 22:40:16 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP49
Improved points from version 1:
- Swap meanings of 'this(this) inout' and 'this(this) const'
- Inout postblit now covers all cheap (== not rebind indirections)
copies between same qualifiers

Kenji Hara

What about just mentioning the qualifiers of source and target of the copy explicitly?

this(this){ ... } // mutable source, mutable target
this(immutable this){ ... } // immutable source mutable target
this(const this)immutable{ ... } // const source, immutable target
this(const this)const{ ... } // const source, const target
// ...
this(inout this)inout{ ... } // source and target have the same qualifier
// ...
this(this)inout{ ... } // mutable source, arbitrary target
// ...
this(const this)inout{ ... } // const source, arbitrary target

Whenever source and target are (potentially) incompatible, the postblit ensures that all fields with incompatible types in source and target are reinitialized.

Only unique expressions convert to 'inout' anyway, hence the last signature above would correspond to unique postblit in the current proposal.

This would be more explicit, strictly more expressive and require less special casing in the compiler implementation.

I agree, it will be the most powerful solution. And we should use the same rules for constructor behavior.

Also, we have strange rules in DIP 53:

If mutable constructor is defined, if immutable constructor is not defined, it will be used for const object construction.

If immutable constructor is defined, if mutable constructor is not defined, it will be used for const object construction.

What happens if we have both mutable and immutable constructors?