On 12/22/2013 12:10 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
Historically, and anecdotally, I found that as soon as the assembly
language was a function, it was better as a separate entity, that inline
assembler only worked for accessing a processor instruction that the
code generator could not generate. So I think you are making this same
point, cf. SIMD instructions at the bleeding edge.

What blows about most assemblers I've had the misfortune to work with is that they did not understand C structs.

This means when you write assembler code that interfaces with your C project, you have to duplicate the C .h files in the assembler's peculiar syntax. Make a mistake, and you've got instant memory corruption. Someone changes a C .h header, instant corruption again.

It's a maintenance nightmare, and wholly unnecessary. Apparently nobody writing an assembler ever had the obvious idea of tacking on a C front end so it could at least pull the struct declarations out of the .h files.