On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 01:39:26 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP54

Are you seriously suggesting we change the auto-expanding behaviour of template argument lists? This is going to cause the biggest code breakage since D2, for the niche benefit of having lists that don't automatically expand.

This DIP makes several unfounded assumptions. It assumes that the semantics of template argument lists are inherently hard to learn, and that removing the auto-expanding aspect will make them easier to learn. It assumes that non-auto-expanding lists provide a significant usability boost, and claims that it enables previously impossible algorithms. It claims to be a compromise derived from several previous discussions (without citing any), but the only consensus I remember is that we have a naming problem. I don't remember anyone but you asking for non-expanding lists *in the language*, which I regard a red herring.

I see no proof provided for any of this.

I hate to say this, but it looks a lot like your personal agenda against auto-expanding lists is tacked onto and conflated with the naming problem, which I think is disingenuous.

This is follow-up of several hot discussion threads that have happened several months ago. It has become pretty clear that there is no good way out of existing situation and least bad needs to be picked just to move forward (because it still be better than current horrible one)

I don't agree. I think we'd be in good shape just by fixing the naming problem, which is a much less controversial change.

Linked proposal was discussed in short e-mail conversation with Andrei (with silent observation with Walter) and is mostly pre-approved. I am interested in general opinion of community and suggestions for any smaller tweaks before starting to work on pull requests.

Please don't pull the argument-by-authority card. Private conversations that affect all of us like this need to die in a fire. We should consider this kind of thing the equivalent of tainted evidence.