On 2013-12-28 03:46, Marco Leise wrote:

Wait a second, what about *setting* attributes? Some difficult
ones are:

o toggling read-only (for whom? user, group, others?)
o executable flag
o hidden flag

On Windows 'executable' is implicit and based on the extension.
On Posix 'hidden' is implicit for a file name beginning with a
dot. We can read the hidden bit on POSIX, but we cannot toggle
it for example. So we can either not expose these attributes
at all, ignore them where not applicable when setting
attributes or add a third state "ignore".

In addition to that Mac OS X has an additional way of indicating if a file is is hidden or not. More similar to how it works on Windows then the naming scheme from Posix.

Or looking at it another way:
DOS attr < POSIX chmod < ACLs

How do other programming languages find a common ground?

On the top of the documentation of the File class in Ruby, it says the following:

"In the description of File methods, permission bits are a platform-specific set of bits that indicate permissions of a file."

And

"On non-Posix operating systems, there may be only the ability to make a file read-only or read-write. In this case, the remaining permission bits will be synthesized to resemble typical values."

--
/Jacob Carlborg