On 12/30/13 4:55 AM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
Am 30.12.2013 13:47, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
On 2013-12-30 12:39, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

Although I think that it is more important to have a well defined
documentation format that can be processed by external tools, it would
indeed be much nicer if for example DMD could automatically emit $(XREF
...) or similar for recognized symbol names. Another thing that would
sometimes be nice is to group functions by category (even though most of
the time using different modules is arguably the better choice). Using
custom HTML macros is sub optimal for many reasons and some kind of
little DDOC syntax similar to sections could do wonders there.

All in all, it's good to have a built-in solution available (and
especially important to facilitate a standard documentation format), but
many things that a separate tool can do (global indexes, search, custom
page structure, per declaration pages, etc.) would IMHO be overkill to
have in the compiler. It's still a compiler after all.

Sure, it always leads back to the same problem: have the compiler
available as a library. I guess the JSON output is some kind of middle
ground.

Absolutely! I hope at least the lexer will find it's way into Phobos
soon. A lot of potential is effectively sleeping there.

Yah, https://github.com/Hackerpilot/lexer-work/blob/master/lexer.d is great! More pre-review discussion?

@Brian Schott: would be awesome to encode a couple more lexer examples, such as HTML (recognition of all tags and character entities - there are comprehensive lists on the net) and C++?