On Monday, 6 January 2014 at 05:27:38 UTC, chuck wrote:
My first post. :)

I come from a perl background but currently I am looking into transitioning into a compiled language. I am a fan of open software and know of the affinity Gnu has towards the C language, but would like to learn something that is a bit more like what I am used to. I have been working my way through Ali Çehreli's tutorial and like the language.

My question is: does Phobos or another standard library have intentions to make it easier to connect to a database (either Postgresql, etc. or a new D database that someone may be working on) and create daemons through D bindings, or will I need to know more C in order to use the proper code in extern segments? I am aware of independent projects for databases, but several of these have came and disappeared over time and I would like something with a more stable history. As for daemons, I know that I can call an extern C fork command, but is this as pure as D gets in this regard?

My projects are relatively quite new but they do meet everything else. I have Dvorm[0] which maps classes to database's. Supports currently in memory and Mongo (via Vibe). I do plan to add e.g. Mysql support via OpenDBX which is a c library as a provider to it.

I have bindings for OpenDBX[1] which utilises Derelict's shared library loader.

At current point in time I don't believe we will be adding anything to standard library for this or create another (past issues).

There is also others available on code.dlang.org if you haven't seen already.

[0] https://github.com/rikkimax/Dvorm
[1] https://github.com/rikkimax/Derelict_Extras---OpenDBX