On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 09:19:40PM +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-01-09 17:35, Marco Leise wrote:
>
> >I Phobos should follow OpenGL in this regard and use a
> >prefix like `etc` for useful but not finalized modules, so
> >early adapters can try out new modules compare them with any
> >existing API in Phobos where applicable (e.g. streams,
> >json, ...) and report any issues. I have a feeling that right
> >now most modules are tested by 2 people prior to the merge,
> >because they spent a life in obscurity.
>
> That has been suggested before and the counter argument is that
> people will start using and complain when it's changed, even if it's
> in an experimental. Someone here said that the javax. packages
> originally was experimental packages to they continued to live in
> the javax namespace to avoid breaking changes.
[...]

Maybe instead of calling it 'etc' we should outright call it
'experimental'. If you have code like:

        import experimental.myawesomemodule;

I doubt you'd object very much when you have to rename it to:

        import std.myawesomemodule;

since the word 'experimental' staring you in the face every time you
open up the file will be a constant nagging reminder that you're
depending on something unstable, giving you motivation to want to move
it to something stable as soon as you can.

"I speak better English than this villain Bush" -- Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf,
Iraqi Minister of Information