On Friday, 10 January 2014 at 09:57:18 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:

Can you recommend some good background reading for those of us who would love to have some input (or at least insight) to this, but don't yet have the theoretical understanding?

You mean about how GCs work? I have the book "Garbage Collection: Algorithms for Automatic Dynamic Memory Management" by Richard Jones, Rafael D Lins. I can recommend it. It is not too technical that it gets too hard. But it doesn't tell the reader how to write a GC. It's more an overview of various approaches in GC construction.