On Friday, 10 January 2014 at 20:08:32 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
I expected popFront at first to return the popped element as well, and would use a function like that. You're not alone. But... like you did, I'd just define my own convenience function and UFCS keeps everything readable so no biggie. But something in Phobos would be better, methinks. std.range.take is similar, but not the same since it returns a range and not an element. Also, it requires passing in the very common "1" as an argument.

It's not ideal as full-speed performance depends on the Take struct being optimised away, but there is always:

auto blah  = range.takeOne.front;