On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:04:44 -0000, Kagamin <s...@here.lot> wrote:
On Friday, 10 January 2014 at 00:37:07 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
I know there's other win32 bindings we can download, but for just the common types, I like to use the built in aliases, and TCHAR, TSTR, etc., are common in copy/pasted MSDN code and can easily be subtly wrong with this.

A compromise I'd accept is putting the wchar aliases under a version(Unicode) so it is opt-in.

version(Unicode) is a bug in itself. I'd say, drop ansi bindings entirely, they exist only for source-compatibility with C code written for win9x.

Unfortunately there are still loads of apps using the ANSI bindings and if someone were to attempt to port these to D having the ANSI bindings available (even if they have to say Version=ANSI on the command line) would be beneficial. Porting is one thing, having to ANSI->unicode correct at the same time is a nightmare. Better to allow them a two-step port :)