On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 19:27:32 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 January 2014 at 18:28:02 UTC, Chris wrote:
How so? Imagine you write a song and someone else has a hit with it. Why shouldn't you get a piece of the cake?

Why should I? Once it is published, it is out wild. If I was going to earn on it, I'd gather as much as possible _before_ it is published (== kickstarter). Of course, if someone else pretends he is actually author of a song, this is completely different story.

Also, imagine someone uses something you have the copyright on for things you don't agree with (Nazis, the KKK whoever), isn't good that you can stop them from using your work to promote their cause?

No. Never. Full stop. Restricting something simply because you don't like it / can't agree with it is reliable way to get restricted yourself. It is essentially same thing as freedom of speech. There are better ways to oppose Nazis.

Ok. Imagine you write a song called "Destroy!" (maybe having traditions and rules in mind). Two things happen:

1. A band records it (or puts it on youtube) and has a hit. They respect your authorship, say "Thanks, buddy!", but they get all the money.

2. A bunch of racists use the song (because of the titles) for one of their hate rallies, pointing at minorities and singing "Destroy! Destroy!".

Case 1: As long as there are so many c*nts out there (and there are many rats among musicians), you want to have some kind of way of not being ripped off.

Case 2: You cannot always prevent these things, but if someone takes your art (= what your mind & soul produced) and uses it in a completely perverted way, you won't feel good about it.

In a perfect world, I agree, there wouldn't be all that copyright bullshit. After all, these laws only protect the interests of the rich and powerful, and it kills (as has been said here) creativity in music. I agree. I once wanted to send some of my songs to people and was warned against it by people who had been in the business "once it's out there, you can't claim the copyright/authorship anymore". And knowing how people are, I desisted from sending them to a broader audience. I still don't know what to do in this respect. I'd like to share the music, but I know how people are.

Why should a composer, band or author not have the copyright on his/her own work and not see any money for it?

Why can't they do it without relying on copyright? ;)

How would that work?

Have already seen several successful Kickstarter projects that had wording akin to "We need X $ to record this album". I sincerely think that such model is most honest approach to producing elements of culture. And if sound labels finally get the idea of subscription-based music distribution, it makes perfect sense to simply hire some proven artists "full-time" same way one may do with sport stars. There are variety of options once you abandon idea of copyright and try to adjust consuming model istead of trying to adjust laws. Music won't be the way to become rich and famous then but I think it is a good thing.