On 2/3/2014 12:46 PM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
On 2/3/14, 5:56 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 2/3/2014 12:00 AM, Uranuz wrote:
At the current state OS send SEGFAULT message and I can't
even get some info where is the source of problem.

1. Compile with symbolic debug info on (-g switch)

2. Run under a debugger, such as gdb

3. When it seg faults, type:

    bt

and it will give you a "backtrace", i.e. where it faulted, and the
functions that are on the stack.

You keep missing the point that when the segfault happens you might have no idea
how to reproduce it. You don't even know where it happens. So it's not that easy
to reach point 3.

The first step is ensuring that people know how to use a debugger. The second step, for the case you mentioned, is figuring out how to attach a debugger to a crashed process.

If a null access raises an exception, you immediately get the backtrace and that
can help you understand why it happened.

I agree that's certainly more convenient, but I was addressing the "I can't" issue. The message did not have enough information to determine if he was having trouble with a basic issue or a more advanced case.