I loved reading Walter's component programming article in Dr. Dobb's [0] in late 2012. I had missed H. S. Teoh's mid 2013 article on calendar textual formatting using the component approach [1], but fortunately Ali brought it to my attention recently, and I also find it absolutely fascinating!

I think what's most interesting with Teoh's article (and I think that was Ali's point when he mentioned the article to me) is that the calendar example is not as an obvious target for the component approach, or at least that the design and implementation is not as obvious for someone new to that approach.

Now, while Teoh's example is much more complex than Walter's, both examples are for cases of pipelined problems (source -> filter1 -> filter2 -> sink). What I have been wondering during the last few days is how much this "component programming" approach could be applied to scenarios where you would normally have a jumble of objects. For instance, try to picture a game or simulation where spaceships fire at each other, pick up objects, communicate, and so on, or something like that. My instinct would be to code a solution which would be classified as typical OOP code. Would it be possible to come up with a solution that would be more in the spirit of "component programming"? Or are such solutions only practical/applicable for pipeline-like scenarios?

--

[0] http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/component-programming-in-d/240008321

[1] http://wiki.dlang.org/User:Quickfur/Component_programming_with_ranges