On Friday, 7 February 2014 at 20:22:54 UTC, Idan Arye wrote:
I'm always for little helper functions, but I don't think Erlang's idiom of using maps as records is good for D. That model works well with dynamic typing, where record types are meaningless and only their structure is important(JavaScript is fine example). With static typing it's better to declare a type for the record, so whether the field you are trying to set exists or not can be checked at compile-time.

The thing is, you don't always have those key at compile time..

Anyway, the discussion here is about map not record and IMHO it is a good idea to have two short functions for 'replace an existing value' and 'add a new key' then a long one for 'do both' because users tend to use short names and from a maintainability point of view, it's much better to know what was the exact intended meaning of the one who wrote the code, instead of having to guess, he wrote "array[key] = value" did he want to add the key or did to replace an existing key?

BR,
renoX