Firstly is there some progress on the DDMD project or maybe an other D boostrap?

There is a lot of thread and debate around the GC of D, I interrogate me on the capacity of a project like DDMD to prove to every D users that the GC is perfectly usable for system applications. If not it will certainly be improve during the DDMD development to a point can satisfy almost everybody?

As I know DMD doesn't release memory, these will have to be fixed in DDMD to match the memory management most application have to apply.

I see many interesting points in DDMD :
- prove GC based compiler isn't longer to optimize than the C++ version (and capable to reach same performances)
 - will reveal more language issues or phobos miss.
 - will be easier to maintain and update