On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 20:02:45 UTC, Meta wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 17:55:36 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I think at this stage we need more people to start with. Someone pointed out recently we have 77 lifetime contributors to github, as opposed to e.g. Rust which has 292.

It's unfortunate that D's biggest competitor is Rust. Being pushed by Mozilla means they automatically have access to a larger pool of contributors that contribute to other Mozilla stuff, who probably wouldn't have contributed to Rust otherwise.

However, I think DDMD will bring about a small bump in contributors. Personally, I haven't used C++ in awhile, and I've grown rusty. At this point, D is probably the language I'm most comfortable with, especially for hacking on something complex like a compiler. I imagine there are at least a few people who feel the same way and are waiting for DDMD before they take a crack at contributing.

I have to agree. It's been over ten years since I have done any C++ seriously and as a result feel a lot of friction when trying to get up to speed on working with the D compiler code-base. Truth be told, that is part of the reason I like D in the end, it's not C++. Being able to use D to hack on the compiler would make it much more feasible for me to contribute.

Joseph