On Tuesday, 11 February 2014 at 19:43:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
I've toyed with this idea for a while, and wondered what the interest there is in something like this.

The idea is to be able to use a subset of D that does not require any of druntime or phobos - it can be linked merely with the C standard library. To that end, there'd be a compiler switch (-betterC) which would enforce the subset.

(First off, I hate the name "better C", any suggestions?)

The subset would disallow use of any features that rely on:

1. moduleinfo
2. exception handling
3. gc
4. Object

I've used such a subset before when bringing D up on a new platform, as the new platform didn't have a working phobos.

What do you think?

Which D metaprogramming (templates, mixins, ctfe, ..) features would be in this D subset?

Would the non-gc'ed functional programming features (downward funargs) be in the subset?

If the answers are "all and yes" I'd be very interested, if "none and no" then much less interested. Please say more about which features you expect to make the cut.

D-lite, while already used, is the natural name choiec.

As others point out, there's some risk of fragmentation, but there's precedent even in unsubsettable languages like Ada (SPARK) so I don't think the risk is so great.

-- Brian