On 2/18/14, 2:26 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
"Steven Schveighoffer"  wrote in message

My point though, is that the change to require default gains you
nothing except annoyed programmers. Why put it in?

It only gains you nothing if you respond to the error by mindlessly
putting a default: break; in.

The compiler is trying to help you by getting you to take an extra
second and explicitly state what you what.  If you are automatically
silencing the error without thinking about the semantics you want, you
absolutely should be irritated, but the compiler is not the one doing
something stupid here.

The awful part of checked exceptions comes from two place IMO - the ide
gives you a very very easy way to do thing wrong thing (two clicks
IIRC), and doing the right thing is often very very difficult (change
exception lists on every calling functions).

Here the right and wrong choice are about equal difficulty - trivial.  I
think complaints about typing those extra couple dozen keystrokes are on
the same level as "why do I have to put these ';'s everywhere" and
"'immutable' has too many letters".

The compiler should force you to write an "else" for every if then:

if (a == 2) {
  // do something
}

Error: missing else

if (a == 2) {
  // do something
} else {
  nothing;
}

Or maybe:

if (a == 2) {
  // do something
} else {
  assert(0);
}

I think the main complaint is that if you refactor a chain of if/else-if into a switch statement, then you have to add a "default: break;" for sure, which is just redundant.