On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 at 00:16:03 UTC, Tolga Cakiroglu wrote:

TL;DR the link though, how are they detecting that a CPU fails? An information must be passes outside of CPU to do this. The only solution comes to my mind is that main CPU changes a variable on an external memory at every step, and back up CPU checks it continuously to catch a failure immediately. But this would require about 50% of CPU's power already.

While thinking about this kind of back up systems, knowing and reading that some people are really doing is really great.

I'm assuming this has something to do with it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbeat_%28computing%29

In clustered servers, the active node sends a continuous signal indicating it's still alive. This signal is referred to as a heartbeat. There's a standby node waiting to take over should it stop receiving this signal.