On Friday, 21 February 2014 at 19:59:36 UTC, Francesco Cattoglio
wrote:
On Friday, 21 February 2014 at 19:12:39 UTC, Frustrated wrote:
Simply not true. Maple, for example, uses constants and can
compute using constants.
You are mixing symbolic calculus and numerical computations. The two are completely unrelated.
Basically the benefit of this(and potential) outweigh the cost of
1 bit out of 64-bits.
Unless I'm completely mistaken, what you are proposing is basically creating a tagged union type. It's pretty much unrelated from the "unum" proposed by the PDF.

Yes, I mentioned that would could extend floating points to
include other representations that are more efficient and reduce
errors and such.