On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 at 16:17:13 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Tuesday, 25 February 2014 at 16:04:56 UTC, Assaf Gordon wrote:
Not sure what the "windows attitude" is, since I haven't developed software for windows in 12 years...

The Windows attitude is expecting things to actually work for the end user. It rarely actually works that way on linux.

If by "works for the end user" you mean that you go to a (different for every app) website and download a binary blob, give it administrator permissions, go through a graphical installer that by default installs 3 toolbars, an anti-virus scanner demo and changes your homepage, then downloads a whole other program that does the actual installation... then yes, I guess it does :)

Honestly, my experience of linux in terms of getting new applications has always been a highlight for me ever since I first started using it years ago.

apt-get install firefox
emerge firefox
pacman -S firefox
yast -i firefox
yum install firefox

How can any of those be said to not work for the end user? It's really very very simple and that's without even discussing the GUIs for the point-and-clickers.