On Saturday, 8 March 2014 at 00:22:05 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
We should think about a way to have our cake and eat it, too.

I think a good place to start would be to have a draft implementation of the proposal. This will allow people to try it with their projects and see how much code it will really affect. As I mentioned here[1], I suspect that certain valid code that used the range primitives will continue to work unaffected even after a sudden switch, so perhaps the "deprecation" and "error" stage can be replaced with a longer "warning" stage instead.

This is similar to how git changed the meaning of the "push" command: it just nagged users for a long time, and included the instructions to switch to the new behavior early (thus squelching the warning) or permanently accepting the old behavior. (For our case it is adding .representation or .byCodepoint depending on the intent.)

[1]: http://forum.dlang.org/post/dlpmchtaqzrxxylpm...@forum.dlang.org