On Sunday, 9 March 2014 at 16:02:55 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Vladimir Panteleev:

Seriously, Bearophile suggested "ABCD".sort(), and it took about 6 pages (!) for someone to point out this would be wrong.

Sorting a string has quite limited use in the general case,

It seems I am sorting arrays of mutable ASCII chars often enough :-)

What do you use this for?

I can think of sort being useful e.g. to see which characters appear in a string (and with which frequency), but as the concept does not apply to all languages, one would need to draw a line somewhere for which languages they want to support. I think this should be done explicitly in user code.