On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 14:30:07 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

An idea to fix the whole problems I see with char[] being treated specially by phobos: introduce an actual string type, with char[] as backing, that is a dchar range, that actually dictates the rules we want. Then, make the compiler use
this type for literals.

Proposals to make a string class for D have come up many times. I have a kneejerk dislike for it. It's a really strong feature for D to have strings be an array type, and I'll go to great lengths to keep it that way.

I wholly agree, they should be an array type. But what they are now is worse.

-Steve