On Monday, 10 March 2014 at 21:52:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
What in my proposal makes you think you don't have unfettered access? The underlying immutable(char)[] representation is accessible. In fact, you would have more access, since phobos functions would then work with a char[] like it's
a proper array.

You divide the D world into two camps - those that use 'struct string', and those that use immutable(char)[] strings.

I would go so far as to say this is a good thing, as long as the 'struct string' is transparently the default.

If you want good unicode support that works in a sane and relatively transparent manner, just write string, use literals as normal etc. If you want a normal array of characters, that behaves sanely and consistently as an array, use char[] with relevant qualifiers.