On Saturday, 15 March 2014 at 23:23:04 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
I believe that there was some work done to make it so that druntime would detect a segfault and print a stacktrace when that happens, but it's not enabled normally, and I don't know quite what state it's in. That would probably be the ideal solution though, since it gives you the stacktrace
without requiring additional checks.

- Jonathan M Davis

I read some _very_ old threads, and apparently a null dereference raised an exception only on Windows, while on linux it still needed work to be implemented properly. Things probably changed a lot in the mean time, but I think the default behaviour should be "throw an exception" on every platform. A core dump with zero extra info is bad. I don't care if 95% of times you can fire up a debugger and find out what happened. This is not something that can be always done.