On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:18:05 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

On 3/21/2014 12:59 AM, monarch_dodra wrote:
Ok. That's a fair point. So in that case, our function is pointing at "data",
and is allowed to mutate it, and observe its state.

Now, if *another* piece of code is doing the same thing at the same time
(potentially mutating "data", does that still violate purity?

A mutex essentially reads and writes a global flag, which other functions can also read and write.

That makes it NOT pure.

No, that's not the case. A mutex does not write a global flag, it writes a shared flag. And the flag is passed into it.

I still think straight locking and unlocking of mutexes should be pure, because of the exclusive nature of the data protected by them.

-Steve