On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 05:41:38 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
On Sunday, 23 March 2014 at 18:15:16 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:

At least on Java world it is not quite true.

And that's why I said a language like C/C++ that allows aliasing.

If you use XML parsers that return a DOM or SAX, yes quite true.

But as far as I can tell, XML streaming parsers (StAX) only parse on demand.

It's been a while since I used it, but the Apache SAX parser (Xerces?) converts all string input to wchar_t before passing it to the callback. And since XML input is nearly always in UTF-8, this can mean a ton of transcoding.

Ah Xerces! Last time I looked into it was around 2003.

I doubt it has any optimizations of modern XML parsers looking
how little the web site has changed since then.

--
Paulo