On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 09:02:19 UTC, monarch_dodra wrote:
On Sunday, 23 March 2014 at 21:23:18 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Here's a baseline: http://goo.gl/91vIGc. Destroy!

Andrei

Before we roll this out, could we discuss a strategy/guideline in regards to detecting and handling invalid UTF sequences?

Having a fast "front" is fine and all, but if it means your program asserting in release (or worst, silently corrupting memory) just because the client was trying to read a bad text file, I'm unsure this is acceptable.

As you'll note from the assembler, asserts are compiled out of release builds. Though if the goal of this little project is to create useful code for inclusion in a library, you would want to switch many of the asserts in the examples into "if (x) return 0xfffd;". (Mine needs an assert/if in the loop to check for the proper bit markers).