On Friday, 4 April 2014 at 20:06:49 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
We already have a scope operator, '.', don't need another one.

It is more clear to the reader that it is an external namespace and you avoid renaming because then C++ has it's own namespace in D reducing the chances of clashes. But it's a minor issue, although I think it is important for long term maintainability of code to easily discriminate between C++ function calls (which tend to be supportive lower level libraries/engines) and D function calls (which tend to be higher level code).

When you do contract work on many projects for different small businesses, you often get requests for modifications/additions 1-2 times a year or so. The less chance of code misinterpretation, the better.