On Thursday, 17 April 2014 at 03:14:21 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
Obviously, a critical part of ARC is the compilers ability to reduce
redundant inc/dec sequences.

You need whole program opimization to do this well. Which I am strongly in favour of, btw.

I've never heard of Obj-C users complaining about the inc/dec costs.

Obj-C has lots of overhead.

Further problems with ARC are inability to mix ARC references with non-ARC
references, seriously hampering generic code.

That's why the only workable solution is that all references are ARC references.

I never understood why you cannot mix. If your module owns a shared object you should be able to use regular pointers from that module.

So then consider ARC seriously. If it can't work, articulate why.

It can work if the language is designed for it, and code is written to enable optimizations.

IMHO you need a seperate layer to enable compiletime proofs if you want to have safe and efficient system level programming. A bit more than @safe, @pure etc.

iOS is a competent realtime platform, Apple are well known for their
commitment to silky-smooth, jitter-free UI and general feel.

Foundational libraries does not use ARC? Only higher level stuff?

Ola