On Tuesday, 22 April 2014 at 18:47:16 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
22-Apr-2014 22:10, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d пишет:
I'm going through some code and thinking of ways to reduce GC pressure, and came across a bit that needed to append some items to an array:

        T[] args;
        lex.expect("(");
        args ~= parseSingleItem(lex);
        while (!lex.empty) {
                lex.expect(",");
                args ~= parseSingleItem(lex);
        }
        lex.expect(")");
        return computeResult(args);

Now obviously, in the general case (with arbitrarily many number of items) some GC allocations will be needed, but the most common use-cases are actually only 1 or 2 items each time. Allocating lots of small arrays seem to be rather wasteful, so I thought to use a static array as
a buffer instead.

The question is, is there a way to take a slice of the static array, set the length to zero, and append to it with ~= such that when it runs out of space in the static buffer, it will reallocate a longer array on the
GC heap? Or is this a bad idea?

Should be a canonical use case for ScopeBuffer
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/master/std/internal/scopebuffer.d

Except that it has crippled usability e.g. you need to call free manually.

I've been working on a "ScopedAppender" that is *bit* slower than ScopeBuffer, but can be used on any generic types, and is nothrow/ctfe/pure/"sometimes safe". I'm giving it the "finishing touches".

But in the meantime, normal appender+clear can work:

int[50] buf;
auto app = appender(buf[]);
app.clear();
//app is ready for use.

The "issue" though is that appender itself as a reference type, so just declaring it allocates, which kind of gets in the way of setting up a local scratch space to begin with.