On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 15:10:31 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

Generally, when investing a lot of time and energy into something, you want to
make sure the market is there first...

Ironic, considering that nobody but me believed there was a market for D before it existed :-)

Sure but I'm not prepared to generate a new language over this. If you won't accept it, there's no point in making it.

In other words, YOU are the market ;)

*disclaimer* I am in no shape to actually make such a proposal/change, and probably it would come out horribly if I tried, implementation-wise. I simply am trying to convince you that it would be a valuable addition to D so others may see an opportunity there.

I do believe there is a market for ARC in D. What I don't believe are the various claims about how insignificant its costs are, and I'm not so willing to give up on memory safety.

You don't have to. Just make ARC not @safe.

-Steve