On 4/30/14, 2:24 PM, deadalnix wrote:
On Wednesday, 30 April 2014 at 20:57:26 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I don't remember a proposal being made that made slices of structs
with destructors distinct from other slices.

So the RC slice thing is what make all that worthwhile ?

I can't discuss this as I'm not sure what past discussions it refers.

Also, RC is good on top of GC, so
you can collect loop, especially if we are going to RC automagically.
That is a major issue.

That stays, and it's useful. I'm talking destructors here.

Then the RCSlice do not provide any guarantee at all.

The guarantee it provides is once the refcount goes down to 0, elements will be destroyed.

We need to improve the language to allow for such. Did I mention it's
not going to be easy?

If I understand what you mentioned, RCSlice is what make to you the
ditching of destructor worthwhile.

No, they are somewhat loosely related. Destructors are not called for arrays of struct _today_, so in that regard we're looking at improving a preexisting issue.

The fact that this is not doable in
current D should be a showstopper for this whole thread as all that is
discussed here is dependent of what solution we choose for this problem
(right now we have none).

This thread is a good place to discuss language improvements that make RCSlice possible.