On Friday, 2 May 2014 at 15:03:47 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 5/2/14, 1:34 AM, Paolo Invernizzi wrote:
On Thursday, 1 May 2014 at 21:29:19 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 5/1/14, 1:19 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On Thu, May 01, 2014 at 01:03:06PM -0700, Andrei Alexandrescu via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
On 5/1/14, 12:52 PM, "Nordlöw" wrote:
into a class. I'm inclined to say that we should outright
prohibit that,

That can't happen.

Why is that?

(1) Too much breakage, (2) would disallow a ton of correct code, (3) no reasonable alternative to propose. We'd essentially hang our users
out to dry. -- Andrei

Isn't this what we're already doing by (eventually) getting rid of class
dtors?

Not even close. (1) A lot less breakage, (2) disallowed code was already not guaranteed to work, (3) reasonable alternatives exist.

Andrei

I have 165k lines of code to review for that change... I would not call
it a minor breakage...

I didn't. I said a lot less that straight out disallowing struct members. -- Andrei

I would also add one point, just because it is not so obvious: I'll be more than happy to review my company code, if the proposed solutions about finalisation in class/struct turn out to take D one step forward being a better programming language.

/Paolo