On Wednesday, 28 May 2014 at 21:05:13 UTC, Chris Williams wrote:
My first day at DConf, during lunch, I ended up sitting next to the CTO/CEO of a startup company that was considering D as their language of choice. He commented to me, and which makes sense to me, that the format of the conference wasn't very well geared to people who are just interested in figuring out what the language is like and how to get started with it.

His recommendation was to offer two tracks over two days (instead of one over three), whith one track focussing on things like how to get a development environment set up on different platforms, how to debug, overview of language features, etc. That way a CTO or other interested party could use the conference as a way to evaluate the language for use at their companies.

I also got the sense that he was hiring, should anyone be interested. Apakau.com

Does it have to split the entire DConf? What if a half-day was set aside for two streams:

a) a workshop for new D users with entry-level talks and maybe even hands-on sessions (would require attendees bring a laptop)

b) A set of very technical low-level language talks for hardcore D language developers.

If there are not enough for a) people are less likely to mind because it is only a half-day with the alternative listening to interesting D talks anyway.

Cheers,
ed