On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 09:24:38 UTC, bearophile wrote:
deadalnix:

What do GDC or LDC generate for these sample code with optimizations on ?

This is not an interesting question because those two programs are meant as parts of larger programs. ldc2 optimizes away both programs to "xorl %eax, %eax".

And I can't test on GDC because GDC compiler crashes on my system since years.

Bye,
bearophile

I think we should focus on solving problems that modern backend
aren't capable to optimize. If they are able, then we should
focus on other thing, or identify the cases where they are unable
to do so, figure out why, and find a solution (maybe improving
existing optimizers are the road, maybe improving the frontend to
feed more infos to the optimizer is the way to go, maybe
something else...).