On actual topic.

Do I think it is practical approach and has benefits over existing situation? Definitely yes.

Do I think it is the right design with a more idealized infrastructure? No. As Dmitry has mentioned it has huge flaw of not being able to use template alias and type arguments, effectively removing reflection out of the question.

Do I think including it in the language as opposed to build system is the deal breaker here? Not sure but unlikely. It improves mental context locality which is not important until this become a much more casual tool. And by the time this happens I'd like another design to be encouraged anyway.