On Tuesday, 24 June 2014 at 03:29:52 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:

Using lapack/blas as the backend would guarantee good performance, though I'm not sure if the Phobos maintainers would be too thrilled at
the idea, after the fiasco with libcurl.

It is straightforward with "version" blocks to support multiple backends at compile time, even including a pure D version (lower performance but always works). One of our internal libraries supports either ATLAS/BLAS (for dev boxes) or MKL (for production big iron) in this way. We just change a makefile variable to use "--version=ATLAS" or "--version=MKL".