On 08/07/14 19:54, David Nadlinger wrote:
Hi all,

I am excited to share news about two changes that recently made their
way into the development version of LDC, changes that might be
interesting for many of you Linux users out there.

The first is that LDC now supports linker-level dead code elimination on
Linux. If you happen to be familiar with the
-f{function,data}-sections/--gc-sections options of the GNU toolchain,
their equivalent is now enabled by default. For a set of small-ish
programs that make use of different parts of Phobos, I've seen
executable size improvements of close to 4x (!) in my tests. However, as
--gc-sections is known to occasionally cause trouble with third-party
code that relies on specific linker behavior, this optimization can be
disabled with a new LDC switch, -disable-linker-strip-dead.

Is this only for Linux or Posix in general?

--
/Jacob Carlborg