On Thursday, 10 July 2014 at 15:51:25 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

Nononono - unique_ptr never moves from lvalues. Also, the educational argument for auto_ptr doesn't stand; it was bad design, pure and simple. -- Andrei

The documentation at:

http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/memory/unique_ptr

must be incomplete. In their example they use std::move when moving the value between pointers, but there's no mention of that in the description of the type. I guess I should just check the standard. I haven't looked at it very closely because I'm stuck using a pre-C++0x compiler at work.