On Saturday, 12 July 2014 at 10:27:12 UTC, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
In the end it is about community rather than the programming language per se. Java created a huge community that was evangelical. Go has rapidly created an active community that is evangelical. Python has rapidly created a large evangelical community. D has slowly created a
small community that hasn't as yet created the outward looking
evangelical aspect. Where are the user groups having local meetings is my main metric. Java definitely, Go definitely, C++ sort of, D no. This is the real problem for D I feel. Without local user groups meeting up
you don't get exposure and you don't get traction in the market.

This seems like an outdated way of looking at things. I've never attended a user group in my life, yet I've picked up several technologies since I left college a while back. When I found out that such user groups existed, I thought they were kind of quaint, a remnant of pre-internet times.

As for an evangelical community, did C and C++ have those? I don't think anyone was ever really evangelical about Obj-C as it took off over the last couple years, riding on the coattails of the meteoric rise of iOS. Evangelism can help, but it can be more a sign of the evangelist's enthusiasm than a tech worth using. Maybe D isn't ready for evangelism yet, there's something to be said for getting the product in gear before advertising it.

Not saying there's anything wrong with DUGs, higher bandwidth interaction and all, but the current approach of D developers giving talks at outside gatherings or putting DConf talks online seems like a much better way to spread the gospel to me. Certainly both can be done, I just wouldn't use DUGs as the main metric.

I've said it a couple times before, but it bears repeating: what D needs is a killer app. Rails showed the ease of use of ruby. iOS made Obj-C a star. D needs to show its utility by spawning a similar killer app, that's what will prove its worth in the market. We can't know what that will be, but if D is any good, it will probably happen at some point.