davidl Wrote:

> ÔÚ Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:54:07 +0800£¬bearophile <bearophileh...@lycos.com>
> дµÀ:
>
> > D2/D3 may become a good language to create video games, this is a new
> > interesting document that shows some of the things D2 users may want to
> > use it for:
> > http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/archive/SweeneyHPG2009/TimHPG2009.pdf
> >
> > I don't know how D2 can adapt itself to help in such regards.
> >
> > Bye,
> > bearophile
>
> At the first sight, I thought that guy were insane to abandon the merit of
> current GPU computing. Then, when I went through the slice of productivity
> is vital. I think I'm completely convinced by this exact point.
> GPU programming and blending into games is pretty specialized skill for
> programmers. Maybe 1 of 1000 programmers has this skill. And maybe 1 of 2
> has the sufficient knowledge to handle it well.
> I would expect an easier development model.
>
> --
> ʹÓà Opera ¸ïÃüÐԵĵç×ÓÓʼþ¿Í»§³ÌÐò: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Sweeney makes some strong points in his presentation, it's true that the line
between CPU and GPU is growing thinner and thinner,  and GPU programming is not
the easiest thing to learn. I had an easier time learning ASM than I did
learning the GPU pipeline in OpenGL heh. However it's just like everything
else, its much harder to learn it than to use it once you get the hang of it.

The D language definitely has what it takes to fully exploit the concepts of
this presentation, most of what he mentions about the language and compiler are
either already covered by D or are being talked about.

I wouldn't be surprised to see major games releases built in D in a few years.