On Wednesday, 16 July 2014 at 13:49:29 UTC, Pavel wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 July 2014 at 04:11:28 UTC, Kapps wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 July 2014 at 03:31:13 UTC, Pavel Evstigneev wrote:
May I improve forum to support markdown?

The forum is actually an interface to a newsgroup, so most forms of markdown would not be supported in the interest of having a consistent UI for people who use mail / newsgroup clients vs people who use the online web interface.

Well, we can serve html in newsgroup/emails, or as plain text with striped markdown's markup

For example user writes "hello, **people**", on online interface its "hello, <strong>people</strong>", in plain text format (for people who dislike html) it's: "hello, people". I don'y think we should give markdown as plain text, or we should limit features, for example only titles, code blocks, horisontal line, links.

Everything is still same, but code snippets and links looks nice on web ui.

How you think?

I suggest you put together a minimal pull request for DFeed (https://github.com/CyberShadow/DFeed), maybe a patch that just handles one or two markup tokens, then open another forum thread here asking if there are any objections, as many people likely won't see this thread because of the unrelated title. If that's too much effort, at least open another thread without the pull request.

I don't think there's anything wrong with sending markdown as plain text to the newsgroup and email lists, as it's meant to be readable.