On 7/22/2014 11:44 AM, bearophile wrote:
Walter Bright:

Would you rather write that or:

How much experience do you have in writing Haskell programs longer than 50 lines
of code?

Zero.

I have a large respect for your experience and your intelligence, but
be careful with comments like that, to not show just your ignorance...

If you are a Haskell programmer you usually don't write code like that, so in
practice it's not a problem.

Does that imply you agree with my earlier point, then, that D doesn't need tail recursion because it can write loops instead?

And even if sometimes you have to write awkward
code, the Haskell programmers can assure you that on average the advantages
given by Haskell purity far outweighs the disadvantages.

On overall I prefer D over Haskell, but if you want to criticize Haskell you
need much much better arguments and way bigger cannons :-)

The point was not at all to criticize Haskell. The point was that D does not need tail recursion because D supports writing loop constructs. Showing how loops could be written using awkward monads in Haskell that Haskell programmers wouldn't write does not change that point.