"Ola Fosheim Grøstad" " wrote in message news:scibhjsiolgykujqx...@forum.dlang.org...

In that case I will write my own assert() that doesn't have this behaviour. Nobody who cares about program verification and correctness will touch this.

Yes.

assert() is no guarantee for correctness, it is basically a break-point check. A sloppy request from the programmer to check some constraint that possibly could be overspecified, and that could silently pass. The the optimizer might assume that "length<1024" etc and create all kinds of problems.

Yes, writing code wrong can result in the wrong thing happening. A non-release build will always retain the asserts.

Assert() are useful debugging tools, but not a codegen feature. A good debugger could allow you to turn them on/off or let you continue after hitting one. That's useful.

If this is what you want you shouldn't be using assert. This is not what assert means in D.